The great thing about acupuncture is that it is a therapy unique to each individual. A patient could present with one or several issues and needles are placed according to what the issue or combination of issues are. A treatment designed specifically to meet your needs will be devised from your initial consultation.
Many people are surprised to learn what acupuncture may help to treat. The following are issues which patients commonly seek acupuncture treatment for:
- Acute and Chronic pain: Muscoskeletal pain is one of the main symptoms that patients present with, the most common being lower back, neck and shoulder pain. However, patients do present with all types of pain and pain conditions, for example arthritis, sciatica, tennis elbow etc.
- Headache/Migraine: Acupuncture can be of benefit for the treatment of headache and migraine. If fact, NICE recommend the use of acupuncture in the treatment of tension-type headache and migraine.
- Women's Health: Period pain, Menopausal symptoms etc.
- Bladder Symptoms: Irritative bladder etc.
- Digestive Problems: Irritable Bowel Syndrome etc.
- Stress and Anxiety
This is not an exhaustive list. If you would like to know if acupuncture could help you then please call me. I am here to help and happy to advise.
The British Acupuncture Council has produced a series of fact sheets which indicate the range of conditions that acupuncture may be useful in helping to treat. These can be found here.
Although these are written from a traditional acupuncture point of view, medical acupuncture can also be helpful in the treatment of many of these conditions.
The British Medical Acupuncture Society has good information for patients on their website here.